If you’re in Chicago and looking for luxury accommodation, you might be confronted with the choice of whether to book a room at the Waldorf Astoria or Ritz-Carlton.
Are these hotels similar?
These five-star hotels are located in close proximity to each other: the Waldorf Astoria is on E Pearson Street while the Ritz Carlton is in Water Tower Place on the Magnificent Mile. They’re five minutes apart.
That said, there are some crucial differences between them to consider.
Which one should you choose? It’s not easy to know immediately, so let’s compare the Waldorf Astoria vs Ritz according to various factors.
- 1 Price
- 2 Location
- 3 Amenities
- 4 Business Centers
- 5 Weddings
- 6 Food
- 7 Related Questions
- 8 Conclusion
- Ritz-Carlton: You can expect to pay between $395 and $795 for standard rooms, but the price varies according to size and amenities. There are 434 rooms to choose from in the hotel, with the smallest room size being 380 square feet. The suites start at 560 square feet and go all the way up to 2,900 square feet.
- Waldorf Astoria: You can expect to pay between $444 to $565 for a regular room. Standard room size varies from 400 to 600 square feet, but you can find rooms that go up to 3,600 square feet. The hotel has 215 rooms.
- Ritz-Carlton: It’s situated on top of the Water Tower Place shopping complex. With The Magnificent Mile in close proximity, there are many shopping and dining experiences just waiting to be enjoyed. Further afield, you’ll find Lake Shore Park two blocks away and Oak Street Beach five blocks away.
- Waldorf Astoria: It’s located across the street from the North Michigan shops. It’s a block away from The Magnificent Mile, which means you’re also close to Oak Street Beach.
Winner: Although they’re so close to each other when it comes to location, the Waldorf Astoria is a winner because of its exquisite courtyard entrance with a Parisian charm which really stands out on the Gold Coast.
- Large picture windows with views of the city and lake
- Luxury bedding, which includes down duvets
- Twice-daily housekeeping service
- In-room safe for your valuables
- Slippers and thick terry robes
- High-speed internet and Wi-Fi
- 24-hour in-room dining
- Nespresso coffee machines
The hotel, in general, has some great amenities on offer. These include:
- A luxury spa with five treatment rooms
- Beautiful swimming pool with four lanes and a skylight
- Wellness classes that include rooftop Yoga and Pilates
- Fitness center with amazing views
- Meeting and wedding venues
- Club lounge
- Iron and trouser press in rooms
- Bathrobes and slippers provided
- Shower and tub
- In-mirror TV in bathrooms
- Free internet
- Patios and balconies
General Hotel Amenities:
- Heated indoor pool for swimming laps
- The spa that offers a steam room and sauna, massage, facials, and salon services
- Fitness center with equipment, and trainers for yoga, Resist-A-Ball, and tai chi
- Meeting and wedding venues
- Health club
Winner: Waldorf Astoria, simply because it ranks highly on ‘best hotel’ lists in the city and country. Currently, it comes in at number four according to Trip Expert, while the Ritz-Carlton has the number 10 spot.
The Ritz-Carlton has valuable amenities for people who are traveling for business reasons, it’s express check-in being best of all.
- There’s a dedicated conference manager who can help you with event details.
- Meetings take place in the luxurious ballroom of the hotel that can house up to 1,200 guests.
- There are audiovisual services and equipment available, which includes lighting and projection.
- You can take advantage of custom catering.
- You can have team-building experiences at this center, and the hotel makes provision for spa workshops and fitness breaks for you and your colleagues.
The Waldorf Astoria also offers a business center. Here are some of its features:
- Five meeting rooms, including a large ballroom, that seats between 21 and 230 guests.
- Two private dining rooms and catering staff are available for event planning.
- PC/Mac computers, printers, and fax machines.
Winner: It’s a tie on this one because both hotels have what you’d need from a business center.
Both the Ritz-Carlton and Waldorf Astoria can help you plan the perfect wedding day. Let’s look at their wedding services.
A team of experts will help you organize your big day.
You can choose to exchange vows on the rooftop with the Lake Michigan below or have a wedding reception in the Ballroom.
Couples are connected to the city’s best entertainers, florists, and more, as The Ritz-Carlton website states.
There are also other wedding services to enjoy, like using the spa for pre-wedding pampering.
The hotel offers five wedding packages when it comes to the food menus.
In addition, there are other wedding packages to choose from, such as yoga classes to help you relax before the big day, and even a “Wedding Bell Boot Camp” to help you achieve your fitness goals.
Here you also get wedding packages to choose from and there are pre-wedding services from which you can benefit, such as by using the third floor for cake tasting, rehearsal dinners, and more.
You can also book a private dining room in the hotel’s restaurant, Margeaux Brassiere, for these events.
One of the best things about having a wedding here is that you can customize it. Choose the Sinclair Ballroom, which is designed in the style of 1920s Paris to have your wedding party, or opt for one of the salons for a more intimate space.
Winner: It’s a tie. The Waldorf Astoria has a courtyard that transforms into a glorious private outdoor area. The Ritz-Carlton has a rooftop overlooking the city skyline where you can have cocktail receptions.
There are many opportunities to indulge in delicious food at the Ritz-Carlton.
Their hotel restaurant is Torali, a modern Italian steakhouse offering handmade pasta, dry-aged meats, and fine wines.
It’s situated on the 12th floor of the hotel, giving you great views of the city. You can sit outside and enjoy the view while sharing a delicious plate of food.
There’s also the Café, which is inspired by a greenhouse design and offers snacks such as sandwiches, pastries, and coffee.
Enjoy French delicacies at Margeaux Brasserie, a restaurant courtesy of prestigious celebrity chef, Michael Mina.
On the first floor of the hotel, there’s a spot to grab some delicious pastries or savory dishes: the Petit Margeaux, also from Michael Mina.
Winner: Waldorf Astoria, because Michael Mina has two Michelin stars and award-winning restaurants across the country. His restaurant isn’t to be missed.
Are these hotels pet-friendly?
Yes. The Ritz-Carlton allows two pets per guest room, and there’s a $100 pet cleaning fee per stay.
The Waldorf Astoria allows pets that are 30 pounds or less for a $75 fee. There are also pet packages that include water bowls, toys, and beds.
How much does valet parking cost?
At the Ritz-Carlton, prepare to pay $71, while you get valet services at the Waldorf Astoria for $73.
Both the Ritz-Carlton and Waldorf Astoria are top-notch hotels in Chicago.
While staying at both will ensure a luxurious, comfortable stay, it’s clear that the Waldorf Astoria has that little extra – and the reviews prove it!Last updated on: